A versatile cooking thermometer with pre-programmed temperatures to help you get the very best results when roasting, barbecuing, grilling, deep frying, or making confectionery. Also includes a handy ‘manual’ function allowing you to program your own target temperature, an oven temperature display and an intelligent roasting feature to help with meal timing.
Please read this instruction manual before use. Keep these instructions for future reference.
USING YOUR KITCHEN THERMOMETER
- Press button to switch on.
- Press button again to enter ‘set up’ mode.
- Use the and arrows to cycle through the menu options:
Roasting: For measuring internal temperatures of meats, fish and poultry when roasting, barbecuing or grilling
Confection: For making jams, toffee, caramel etc
Frying: For measuring oil temperatures when frying
Manual: For setting your own target temperatures
- Press to confirm your selection.
- Continue to use the and arrows and button to select additional options on screen. (At any time: press to navigate back to the previous screen.)
- Fold out the stand and unwind the cord. Remove the cord/probe from the product and insert the jack end into the front of the product. The thermometer is now ready for use and will display the current temperature as measured by the thin tip of the probe.
- When the tip of the probe reaches the same temperature as the target temperature the alarm will sound for one minute.
- Press button to silence the alarm.
For meats, fish and poultry
Insert the tip of the probe into the centre (thickest part) of the meat/ food. For whole poultry remove trussing and then insert into the thickest part of the thigh.
Ensure the probe is not in contact with bone, fat or gristle as this will affect the validity of the reading.
The food can be cooked with the probe in place and the cooking thermometer will monitor the temperature continually until it reaches its target. Always keep the display unit away from direct heat.
The display will show the oven temperature as well as the probe temperature.
When using the probe in an oven, carefully close the oven door onto the cord and position the display unit near the oven with the cord out of the reach of children.
PRODUCT DIMENSIONS: 15x 3.5 x 22cm
Do not use in oven temperatures above 250°C/480°F.
Keep the cord end of the probe clear of the oven walls and heating elements.
Never place the display unit inside the oven or grill or on direct heat.
Never use the probe to lift or turn food items.
Intelligent Roasting Feature:
When using the probe for oven roasting, your thermometer will display a handy time countdown as the meat nears its target temperature, helping you to better plan the timings for the rest of your meal.
Initially, the display will show “- - - -“ in the Intelligent Roasting window. Part way through cooking, the countdown time will appear and this will be continually updated to reflect any fluctuations in oven temperature etc.
NOTE When using low oven temperatures for slow roasting, the Intelligent Roasting timer will not be activated until nearer the end of the cooking period.
The pan clip can be used to hold the probe in place in your confectionery (jam, toffee, caramel etc). Position the tip of the probe in the liquid, away from the sides and bottom of the pan. Position the display unit to the side of the cooker away from the direct heat, ensuring that the cord is out of the reach of children.
Take care if stirring that you don’t dislodge the probe.
For deep frying
Use the probe as for confectionery (see above), placing the tip of the probe in the oil.
For safety reasons, it is recommended that the probe is removed from the oil once a stable temperature has been reached, before adding food.
- Always clean the probe thoroughly between each use. (See cleaning instructions below)
- Pressing the button, then selecting Edit or Clear will allow you to change the target temperature
- To maximise battery life press and hold the button to switch off after use.
- Auto switch-off occurs 10 mins after idle.
At the back of the instruction book, which you can download below, are charts showing all the pre-programmed temperatures used by the thermometer. Choose government recommended USDA* temperatures for safe preparation of meat, fish and poultry. Alternatively you may choose to use the pre-programmed Heston temperatures which coincide with guidelines given in his many recipes. Heston’s temperatures are often slighter lower and are specifically developed to give the best possible taste and texture result for each food type. However, it is important to understand that if you choose to use temperatures lower than the USDA guidelines, there may be a greater health risk involved; particularly when cooking meat, poultry & fish. Use of fresh ingredients and safe food handling is very important. The manufacturer accepts no responsibility or liability for food borne illnesses which may occur from food prepared using this product or temperature charts.
* USDA = United States Department of Agriculture, currently publishing the most detailed recommended guidelines.
Once meat/poultry has reached its final temperature, always rest for a minimum of 3 minutes before carving/ serving. For really succulent meat that is easier to carve, Heston recommends resting:
- Small cuts (eg: steaks, breasts & burgers) for 5 minutes.
- Larger cuts (eg: roast chicken & other roasting joints) for 30 – 45 minutes.
CHANGING BETWEEN °C / °F
CHANGING ALARM SOUND BETWEEN ON/OFF
- Slide off and remove battery door.
- Move switch to preferred setting.
- Replace battery door.
- Remove battery door.
- Insert new battery (2xAAA), ensuring +/- terminals are the correct way round.
- Replace battery door.
- We recommend that the thermometer probe is sterilised before each use e.g. insert the stem of the probe only in boiling water for a few minutes.
- Clean the thermometer body with a slightly damp cloth.
- DO NOT immerse the thermometer in water or use chemical/abrasive cleaning agents.
- All plastic parts should be cleaned immediately after contact with fats, spices, vinegar and strongly flavoured/coloured foods. Avoid contact with acids such as citrus juices.
CARE AND PRECAUTIONS
- Always remove flat batteries immediately.
- We recommend changing the battery after 1 to 2 years, to prevent batteries corroding in the product.
- Always wear a heat resistant glove when handling the thermometer probe & cord. WARNING HOT SURFACE!
- Do not immerse the thermometer body in liquid, or splash any liquid onto this part.
- The thermometer is NOT suitable for use in a microwave oven.
- DO NOT place thermometer inside oven or grill.
- Probe & cord cannot exceed temperatures of 250°C/480°F.
DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTION MANUAL